A NATURAL PART OF AGING
The natural lens, located behind the iris, works just like the lens of a camera focusing light images on the retina which sends images to the brain.With the onset of cataract, your natural lens becomes so clouded that it prevents light and images from reaching the retina. You now start seeing objects blurred. Bright colours seem dull. Seeing during low light conditions become more difficult, your glasses become in effective.
|Healthy EYE||EYE with Cataract|
What causes Cataract?
- Normal aging process
- Diabetics may cause
- Prologed use of medication (eg : steroids)
- The best way to treat cataract is with surgery which removes the old, clouded lens and replaces it with a new, artificial one to restore your vision. Successful cataract surgery can significantly improve your quality of life.
What exactly is cataract surgery?
- It is one of the safest and most successful procedure
- Surgery is performed mostly under local anaesthesia rarely needs general anaesthesis
- Modern surgery uses an ultrasound (phacoemulsification) to remove the cataract
- Artificial lens is placed in to the eye
- The surgery is performed without stitches
- It takes 15-45 minutes
- Safe and effective
- The risk of complication is less than 1%